Everything you should know about chemical peels
So you want to get a chemical peel and you don’t know where to start? This post will tell you everything you need to know to determine if a chemical peel is right for you.
WHAT IS A CHEMICAL PEEL?
A chemical peel is a removal of skin cells from the skin’s surface. With different solutions, we can get mild, almost invisible peeling, all the way to deep shedding of skin cells. We also use different blends of acids to target concerns in the skin such as acne, fine lines and wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and scarring. When the chemical solution is applied to the skin, it causes the top layers of skin to die and shed off the skin quicker. This shedding promotes new healthy skin growth and exposes fresh new healthy skin beneath layers of damaged skin cells.
WHO IS A CHEMICAL PEEL FOR?
Since chemical peels come in different intensity levels and formulations, they can be great for anyone! Someone wanting to prevent future signs of aging, could receive a mild peel that tightens and brightens the skin. Someone with very oily skin and persistent acne would benefit from a deeper peel that targets cleansing out the pores. There truly is something for everyone within the world of chemical peels!
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU BOOK
Here at Calm Spa and Salon, we offer a wide variety of chemical peels. On our menu, however, we have simplified our options to make booking your appointment easy. You can book either a level 1, level 2, or level 3 chemical peel. These levels refer to how many layers of solution we apply to the skin. The more layers, the more intense the treatment will be. But don’t worry, no matter what you book, we can make adjustments at the time of your appointment depending on how your skin is reacting to the treatment. Then, the type of chemical peel we use will be determined when you arrive at your appointment and we consult about your skin’s needs.
Before your appointment, you should
– come with cleansed skin if possible
– make sure you don’t have any events or outdoor activities scheduled in the week after your treatment
– discontinue use of any active skincare products at home 2 days before your appointment (active products would consist of retinol/retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, etc.) if you are unsure if your products include active ingredients, please call or text us at Calm Spa and Salon
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR APPOINTMENT
When you arrive for your appointment at Calm Spa and Salon, you and your esthetician will consult about what you are looking to change about your skin. Your esthetician will determine what treatment will be best. We will start with two thorough cleanses to prep the skin for the peel. Then the chemical solution is applied on. At this point, it’s normal to feel some activity in the skin. You might have warm, tingly, itchy or burning sensations. This is all normal and your esthetician will be monitoring your skins’s reaction closely to avoid potential damage.
Once the chemical peel has had time to neutralize on the skin, your esthetician will apply finishing products to help aid in your skin healing, finish with an SPF on your skin, and they will give you aftercare instructions and that’s pretty much it!
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT AFTER YOUR CHEMICAL PEEL?
After your treatment, your skin will feel rather tight and dry. You may feel a little warmth, but most of the activity should be calmed down by the time you leave the spa. Visible peeling does not always occur after a chemical peel. You skin may not peel visibly at all, you make experience some mild flaking, or your skin might peel in larger sheets of skin all over your face.
If you do experience peeling, it typically lasts for about 3-5 day, but it can last anywhere from 7-10 with deeper treatments.
What to do after your chemical peel:
– avoid your active products for 3-4 days after your peel, or until peeling is completely finished
– avoid heat in the skin (like hot showers, sweating, saunas, hot stoves) for the first 24 hrs especially to avoid reactivating the peel
– DO NOT pick at or scrub your skin as it is peeling. You must let the peeling happen naturally so as to avoid tearing and scarring your skin
– use sun protection everyday
– use proper home care products to give you the best results and support the progress made from your chemical peel
– continue to consult with your esthetician at Calm Spa and Salon to receive the appropriate treatments and skincare products for your healthiest skin
We at Calm Spa and Salon are devoted to helping you achieve your best skin. Chemical peels are a great step to reaching so many skin goals. No matter your skin concerns, you can benefit from a chemical peel. Book an appointment with us today and we will help you on your way to clear and youthful skin.